Monday, January 22, 2007

Dutch Virgins

So, being back in ol' Nederland, it seemed only appropriate that I lodge in my virgin blog posting to Welcome Holland.

Hope it is as good for you as it is for me. AUB.

I am back in the milling of the winds after 2 weeks of traversing across the motherland (India, for you white people). Given the propensity this blog seems to have for lists, here are the top 5 highlights from the trip...(I have not downloaded pictures from my camera yet, so this posting will be sans visual aids)

1. Seeing the Taj Mahal
Like most Indians, I have never actually been a tourist in my own country. No more, I say! We spent a few days visiting the marble dome along with several fascinating forts and the such in Agra and Jaipur. Activities included a camel ride, folk dances and buying a carpet. Genie not included.

2. Second wedding reception
As if 2 wedding ceremonies and a wedding reception in Boston were not enough, we had another one in Mumbai for family and friends that did not have the the funds/interest/intestinal fortitude to make it in August. The dinner was awesome, and it was great to meet up with family we hadn't seen in ages.

3. Meeting up with Papa and Mama Menon
That's right. Priya and I met up for tea (drink your tea! drink your tea!) with the Menon elders in New Delhi. Good times reminsicing over fresh samosas and old nostalgia.

4. Goa
Spent a few days chilling by the beach with a few friends from b-school who were also in India. The waves were awesome (screw you, Coco Beach) and the seafood abundant. Highlights include $6 massages (no happy endings, you sick f*cks) and sitting on beanbags on the beach and smoking a hookah under the stars.

5. Explosive diarrhea
Ah, what would any trip to India without this old friend? Actually, this is the first time it has ever happened to me. On the last day of the trip, none the less. Which made the flight back to the Amsterdam all the more entertaining, especially since I was trapped in a middle seat between 2 drunk bastards. I took so much Immodium I was more clogged than a Schipol tourist gift store.

And so it is. Hope everyone had a fantastic New Years...

3 comments:

iamloos said...

I hope Priya was offered plenty of yogurt and salad.

Anonymous said...

dude, you should have told me you were going to mumbai. my dad is there right now and you guys could have met and hang out. or something.

Anonymous said...

Well said.